This chapter also introduces us to the first narrator, Benjy. In this portion of the book he is both a young child and, due to a shift in time, a 33 year old man. Through both perspectives he gives us a glimpse into the day to day life being a handicapped man in a 1920's era traditional southern family. He cannot speak, which adds to his character as well. Benjy focuses a lot on his past. He spends much time recalling memories from his childhood and things about Caddy, his sister and one of the only people in the novel who seems to really like him. This says a lot about who Benjy is: he doesn't particularly worry much about whats happening around him because he just recalls the goodness from his past, and he also seems saddened by the life he's living as a 33 year old. That's why he recalls so much from his past.
Another interesting topic is that the first chapter of this book is set near Easter Sunday, and Benjy has just turned 33 - the age of Christ when he was killed. This brings up a very interesting religious question, and it ties into Benjy: he may symbolize both Christ's innocence and his suffering. I feel that this may become an important theme in the story so I'll definitely be watching for more.
Overall, we've been introduced to Benjy and through him we've learned a lot about his environment and family workings. This first chapter really opens the reader up to what is to come, and it will be an important starting point to continue to work off of.
I agree with the idea that Benji lives in the past a lot, but I don't fully agree with the idea that it's because he's sad about or dissatisfied with his present. I think it has more to do with the idea that his past memories are more important to his life than the present, not necessarily that they're more pleasing or satisfying.
ReplyDeleteNice analysis!
ReplyDeleteI just was wondering what you thought about Benjy's innocence! On one hand, I heard the innocence aspect of Benjy is one of the factors that make Benjy likable or at least make readers have pity on him. On the other, the opinion is that Benjy's innocence is incredibly annoying because everyone (except for Caddy!) takes advantage of him.
I personally feel that Faulkner meant to have Benjy's chapter annoy people into wanting to become more in the know rather than innocent, but I would like to know what you think!
I agree with both of your sides to innocence. However, no matter how you interpret Benjy's personality, his role, and therefore his innocence is really important to the plot. I think this also ties into how Benjy is 33, and the date was the day before Christ was crucified. That is really important symbolically.
DeleteI think Benjy's chapter wasn't necessarily mean to bother the reader, but it gave a really solid example of how hard time shifts would be, and warmed up the reader for dissecting the rest of the novel!
Thank you for your comment!